Research and education
This document summarizes duties and milestones of the graduate students versus the teachers’ board.
Each student must perform an high level research activity in the field of nanotechnology. This activity should be accompanied by a number of publications in ISI journals (possibly with high impact factor) and presentations in international conferences and seminars. The research activity is carried out under the guidance of a supervisor and must be within the research project that is assigned at the beginning of the project.
a) 80 hours of lectures organized by the
PhD Course of Nanotechnology or offered by master courses of our University -
this activity should be completed within the first two years;
b) participation to at least two Schools
for PhD students organized by the PhD Course of Nanotechnology or by other
institutions at National or International level;
c) participation to, at least, one
International or National conference/meeting/workshop
d) 40 hours of training outside the
research group whose goal is getting familiar with new techniques and
methodologies of interest for the research project;
e) 30 hours of seminars organized by
our University or by regional research institutions.
a) – d) should be approved in advance by the supervisor.
a) – c) should be approved by the educational activity committee
activities (optional) if done must be included in the annual report:
abroad (max 18 months in three years);
activity (lectures, laboratory support, seminars to master students,…) max 40
hours per year.
educational activities carried out by the PhD student during the year should be
reported in the annual report.
Corso Technologies and nanotecnologies for the characterization of biomolecules and cells.pdf
CourseNanomedicine of Cancer.pdf
Course Molecular Self_Assembling_Nanostructures.pdf
· Course Microscopy.pdf
Annual report and annual exam
Each graduate student must present her/his activity to the teachers’ board at the end of each year. Communication will be sent for the logistic of the presentation. The annual report is necessary for the admission to the next year. The documents and procedures are the following:
At the end of the first and second year:
- To present (slides PPT) a summary of the activity of the year to the teachers board;
- To present (slides PPT) the scientific activity (in English) at the Nanotech Conference;
- To attend the entire Nanotech Conference;
- To prepare and submit the Annual report (see example) containing:
o Summary of the main research results;
o objectives for the following year;
o publications, conference presentations and participation,…
o teaching activity;
o periods abroad.
The students of the third year have two possibilities: (i) they ask the admission to the final dissertation or (ii) they ask for one (only one) year prolongation.
If they ask the admission to the final dissertation they must:
- Present the summary of ALL THREE YEARS before November 4th;
- Discuss with the teachers’ board the activity of the third year (with short summary of the previous years) in the first days of November (exact day to be defined);
- Prepare and deliver the thesis (in English) according to the deadline defined by the Doctorate Administration Office (usually 30 days before the dissertation)
- Participate and present the activity at the Nanotech Conference before the dissertation;
- Prepare a summary of the thesis in Italian and English and send it to the director of the School before the dissertation;
- Final dissertation (March- April).
If they ask for one (only one) year prolongation:
- Present the annual report before November 4th;
- Discuss with the teachers’ board the activity of the third year (with short summary of the previous years) in the first days of November (exact day to be defined); in this discussion attention must be given to the reasons why the prolongation is asked and a plan of the activity to be carried out in the next year must be presented;
- To participate and to present the activity at the Nanotech Conference before the dissertation;
Start of activity (First year)
The new student should follow the directives of the Administration office for the inscription. As soon as this is finished a meeting with the director of the school will be organized in which they will provides the following information. :
- Personal data (Name, Surname, email, telephones)
- Information on the project (supervisor, tutors, title)
- Program of the research activity with the state of the art and the expected advancements, objectives to be reached in the three years and those reachable in the first year, literature cited.
o Use of the mobility budget for the students
The school has a small budget for the mobility. This budget will be used as a support for the travel expenses of the students only for activity strictly related to the school. Each student will use the budget maximum once a year for a maximum amount of 500 euro. The use of the budget is constrained to the following priorities:
- Participation to schools, short courses or other educational activity.
- Participation to conferences with presentation of results (oral or poster).
- Participation to conferences.
It will not be possible to use the budget for other activities . The request will be done by the student, after an agreement with the supervisor. The supervisor will cover the rest of the cost if the activity total cost is higher than the limit.